Breakfast Burrito Pie

Happy Pi Day (tomorrow)!  I was so excited this morning when I saw my Breakfast Burrito Pie on the Today Show on NBC.  Earlier this week I entered their Today's Take Pie Challenge for pi day.  I thought I'd give it a shot never really expecting to be featured.
I had to submit a picture of me with my pie.  It was just my 3 yr. old and I at home when I created this pie.  Since I didn't feel confident in my 3 yr. old's photo skills, I stacked up a pile of books on the kitchen counter, set the camera on top, hit the self timer button and ran in front of the camera with my piece of pie! :)  I probably would've put more effort into it if I knew it was going to be on national TV.  My husband said, "at least I did my hair." haha  

Seriously, I am so excited and happy that not only did my family really like this pie, but so did the Today Show family.  Tamron said she could eat the whole pie and Willie said he's having it for breakfast tomorrow.  Al said the pies were "fantastic."  Here's the link to the article, Pies you gotta try from Today Take's Pie Challenge and here's the video from this morning.............

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Recipe Link
Ingredients
1 lb. breakfast sausage (cooked, crumbled, drained)
3/4 cup chopped bell peppers, any color
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
2 cups shredded cheese, divided (we like sharp cheddar)
1-10 inch flour tortilla (burrito size)
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
cooking spray
Sour cream and chopped green onion to top each slice
Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Press tortilla into pie plate and spray lightly with more cooking spray.
2. Toss cooked breakfast sausage, chopped peppers, onions and 1 cup shredded cheese in a large bowl until combined. Spread filling over tortilla. 
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in bowl until smooth.  Slowly pour over filling in pie plate. 
4. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake until surface is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and top with sour cream and green onions. 

Tip: Place pie on a baking sheet to make it easier to take in and out of the oven

Source: Me


First, cook, crumble and drain the breakfast sausage
You will LOVE how easy the crust is, just spray the pie plate, put in the tortilla and spray the tortilla---Done!
Toss the sausage, chopped pepper, chopped onion and 1 cup cheese together and then....
Spread the filling over the tortilla
Whisk your eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper together
Carefully pour it over the filling
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place pie on a baking sheet to make it easier to take in and out of the oven.
Ta-Da! All done. Let cool 5 mintues, slice and top with sour cream and chopped green onions
The Results... 
Everyone in our family gave this pie 4 to 41/2 stars (out of 5).  We really liked it and will definitely be making it again!

Comments

  1. Congratulations! That's so freakin' awesome! I plan on making this for our Easter brunch. (BTW - I think it's a great picture of you). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! I hope your family likes it, too! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to try this! I went to the Today show for the recipe & noticed flour in the directions, but it was omitted from the list of ingredients. Glad I was able to track down your website to get the correct measurement, but there may be some unhappy folks out there if they follow the Today show recipe. Just an FYI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know. I'm glad you found our website, too! I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  3. This was a looker when it came out of the oven. :) I loved it. I also liked how it gave me time to clean dishes and chop some fruit while it baked. I am wondering how it would turn out with an extra egg or two? We love eggs and I found this to be a bit more biscuit-like than frittata style. I liked it that way but just curious if it would mess up the overall consistency and make it mushy to add an egg or if I would have to adjust bake time. This is a great recipe to swap out ingredients to suit your favorite add-ins. I cut back on the cheese a little and it was still really flavorful. Thanks so much for the great recipe. I want to make it for Easter brunch too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krys. I'm so happy that you loved it! I'm not sure about adding extra eggs? I've never tried it. If you give that a try, please let me know how it turns out. Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know how your pie turned out. Happy pi day! :)

      Delete
  4. Aloha from Honolulu, Hawaii.
    I've got the Breakfast Burrito Pie in the oven & looking forward to having it for a late breakfast, early lunch... today! Much Mahalos for the recipe! Congrats on getting on the Today Show as well. Bet you never thought your recipe would be getting made in Hawaii this weekend! Gotta love this world we live in...Shawn & Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha! That's awesome. I hope to visit Hawaii someday. Thank you so much for stopping by to let me know. I hope you enjoy your pie! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment