Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce

 "Can making your own marinara sauce really be that easy?"  That's what I was thinking when I came across this recipe for Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce from Recipe Tin Eats.  Could it really just take 5 minutes to throw everything in the slow cooker and then have a delicious, homemade marinara sauce ready that evening?  I already had all the ingredients in my pantry, so I decided to give it a try...

Recipe Link
Ingredients 
4 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves, dried
1 Tablespoon brown sugar (I used dark)
1 Tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Set to low and cook 6-8 hours.
2. Remove bay leaves and use a handheld blender to puree until smooth or to your liking.
3. Cool before refrigerating or freezing. 
Makes about 8 cups.
This sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.

Adapted from Recipe Tin Eats


Here's what goes into this sauce. There's also 2 garlic cloves that didn't make it into the picture.
It was super easy to throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning.
Here's the sauce after about 7 hours on low. I found the two bay leaves and took them out before I blended.
Blend, Blend, Blend
And that's it! Super easy, delicious, homemade marinara sauce.
The Results...
This was a hit! Everyone really liked this marinara sauce. We had this sauce with homemade breadsticks and with meatballs and pasta.  All together we give it 4 1/2 stars (out of 5).

Not only did this sauce taste terrific, but it really was so easy to put together.  Next time, I'm getting out my big slow cooker to make a double batch and put the extra sauce in the freezer.  I'm so glad I gave this recipe a try.  It's a keeper!

Comments

  1. Mamamia....this looks SO GOOD!! Your sauce looks so rich and deep....wow wow wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nagi! Thanks again for sharing your recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment