Orange Julius ~ Homemade

Happy New Year!  We're starting off the new year with a sweet, refreshing drink that I have loved since I was a child, Orange Julius

You don't have to drive to the mall or wait in line, because it's so easy to make this at home!
 
Recipe Link
Ingredients 
6 ounces canned orange juice concentrate, frozen
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
10 ice cubes
Directions
Combine all ingredients (except ice cubes) in blender. Add ice cubes, 2 at a time and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Variations
1. Substitute a ripe banana instead of adding sugar to make an Orange-Banana Julius
2. Make Orange Julius popsicles by pouring into popsicle molds. (If you don't have popsicle molds, use a small (3 to 5  oz.) cup, let freeze slightly and add an wooden popsicle stick in the center. Then, let freeze completely. *Blend Orange Julius right before pouring into molds or cups to keep the mixture from separating.

Source: Mom


        For the 6 of us, I make two batches. So, I buy a 12 oz. can of frozen OJ concentrate. If I decide to make just one batch, I use half and put the lid back on and put the rest of the OJ back in the freezer for next time.
I made this batch with a ripe banana instead of adding sugar. It was yummy!
Nice and frothy. Just like the original.
If I have leftover Orange Julius, I pour it into popsicle molds and freeze it.
The kiddos love it this way! Makes a nice after school snack.
The Results...
My kiddos love this just as much as I did when I was little.  They get excited like I did when my mom would make this for me and my brothers.

My husband also likes this Orange Julius, except that it's a bit too sweet for him.  So, sometimes I reduce the amount of sugar to 1/4 cup or replace the sugar with a ripe banana and it is still delicious! 

Comments

  1. Very cool! I can remember the Orange Julius's stands in the mall. I loved them. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment