Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 box of chocolate cake mix, prepared per package directions + 1 egg
Cocoa powder for dusting the cake pans
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups marshmallow creme
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9 inch) round cake pans and dust with cocoa powder, set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, but add an extra egg to the mix.
3. Split batter evenly between the 2 cake pans and bake for approximately 25 minutes or when top of cake springs back or toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely.
4. In stand mixer, beat butter and marshmallow creme together until smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly add powdered sugar. Turn mixer back up and continue to mix until smooth, about another minute.
5. Spread the filling on top of one of the cakes. Top the filling with the other cake.
6. In small saucepan, bring heavy cream to almost a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until smooth. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then pour on top of cake.
Notes: Spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before adding the marshmallow creme. It will slide right out instead of sticking.
Adapted from Cookies and Cups
|My regular cake pans are in storage, but these aluminum ones worked just fine. I buttered them really well before I dusted with cocoa powder.|
|Buttery, marshmallow creme filling mmmmmmmmmmm!|
|Here's all that marshmallow Buttercream on top of the first cake.|
|When the other cake gets put on top of the filling, it looks like a huge Whoopie Pie! BUT, we are not done. There's still the chocolate ganache to pour on top.|
|Here's your slice. Enjoy!|
I loved how simple this cake is to make. My husband LOVED how it tasted and gave Whoopie Pie Cake a full 5 stars!
The kiddos told me it was too sweet.....WHAT?! They also told me that I gave them too much cake. REALLY?! I thought to myself, 'who are these kids and where are the ones that ask for dessert after we eat waffles or beg for cookies at 8am?' cRaZy! They still told me that they liked this cake and gave it 4 stars, though.
I share recipes at these linky parties.